Electronics Recycling Options For Households
Beginning January 1, 2015 there is a statewide ban on the disposal of certain electronics as trash. These items must be recycled.
The NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act requires manufacturers to provide free and convenient recycling of electronic waste to household consumers in the state. It was signed into law by the Governor on May 28, 2010. For additional information on the law visit the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website for Guidance for Electronic Equipment Recycling. Manufacturers may use a variety of collection methods so any of the following collection methods are in full compliance with the law and available to the households of Huntington:
Call the Highway/ Refuse Department at 549-8880 to schedule a collection of electronics covered by the law. You should place the electronic waste Outside the house by 7: am on your schedule date
In order to protect against identity theft, residents are strongly advised to erase or remove and destroy the hard drives of any computers or laptops that are to be recycled. To see a video with instructions on how to remove and destroy your hard drive click on this link. To see a video with instructions on how to wipe/erase your hard drive click on this link.
Retail Take Back Programs
Stores that sell electronics are required by the law to take back e-waste either through a drop off program or a mail in program. Some locally participating stores are:
- Accepts cell phones, tablets, netbooks and mobile hotspot devices from any carrier. If you recycle your device through this program you may be eligible to receive a Verizon Wireless gift card. Click here for more details.
- Best Buy. Accepts electronics including TVs; some size restrictions apply. Hard drive removal and e-waste pick-ups may be arranged for a fee.
- Radio Shack. Accepts certain electronics via mail for trade-in value. Click herefor details.
- Accepts certain covered electronics, restrictions apply; visit their e-waste recycling website for more information.
E-waste Drop Off Site at The Town Of Huntington Recycling Center
The Town of Huntington has a no cost drop off site for E-Waste at the Recycling Center located at 641 New York Avenue, Huntington, New York, 11743. It is available Tuesday through Saturday from 8 am to 4 pm. In addition to all equipment covered by the law, cell phones will be accepted for electronics recycling. Small electric appliances (e.g.: vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, toaster ovens, mixers, slow cookers, clothes irons, et al.) are not acceptable for recycling in this program.
Electronic Equipment Covered by the Law:
- Cathode ray tubes
- Small scale servers
- Computer peripherals (including any cable, cord, or wiring permanently affixed to or incorporated into the computer peripheral.)
- Electronic keyboards
- Electronic mice or similar pointing devices
- Facsimile machines, document scanners, and printers (only those intended for use with a computer and weighing less than 100 lbs.)
- Small electronic equipment (including any cable, cord, or wiring permanently affixed to or incorporated into the small electronic equipment.)
- Digital video recorders
- Portable digital music players
- DVD players
- Digital converter boxes
- Cable or satellite receivers
- Electronic or video game consoles